Yemen: Crisis necessitates UN resolution
Recently Prayer-Alert reported Houthi rebels had taken control of Yemen’s capital and waves of Al-Qaeda and jihadi activists roamed the country. This week the UN said that Yemen is ‘collapsing.’ Countries have closed their embassies there and a UN resolution called for the Houthis to ‘immediately and unconditionally’ withdraw from government institutions and release President Abdrabbuh Mansour Hadi from house arrest. The UN also declared a ‘readiness to take further steps’ if the Houthis do not comply. The Gulf Cooperation Council, (Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates) want resolutions to be enforced militarily or through sanctions. The Houthis are purportedly backed by Iran. Meanwhile Yemenis are more concerned about everyday life, rather than who comes to power. Millions live in poverty with no access to basic needs. (Deficient electricity - many without generators and lack of adequate clean water).
South Africa
South Africa’s parliament erupted in violence last Thursday when opposition MPs were forced from the chamber by armed police after they challenged President Jacob Zuma over a corruption scandal. As parliamentarians threw punches, hats, leather cushions and desks, the live television signal to the chamber was cut and phone signals were jammed. Several MPs were taken to hospital with minor injuries, and remaining opposition parties walked out, leaving Mr Zuma to make a speech to ANC MPs alone. Twenty years after South Africa escaped apartheid and became a democracy, commentators said use of the security forces to address political rows was a concerning development. ‘This is now a police state,’ said Bantu Holomisa, an opposition leader. The protest was led by Julius Malema, once a staunch ally of the beleaguered president but now his strongest challenger over £12.9 million of taxpayer money spent on his private home in Nkandla, KwaZulu Natal
Australia: Inquiry into children in detention
The Archbishop of Sydney says the situation of children in detention 'should concern every Australian' and has supported calls for an overhaul of the current system. A recently released politically controversial Human Rights Commission Report says ‘current detention law, policy and practice does not address the particular vulnerabilities of asylum seeker children nor does it afford them special assistance and protection. Mandatory detention does not consider the individual circumstances of children nor does it address the best interests of the child as a primary consideration. ‘The Archbishop said, ‘Governments must undertake necessary checks and the children and their parents quickly removed from detention. It only causes further heartache for families to be separated from each other at a time when they need each other the most.’
Iran: Justice needed for Cristian prisoner
An imprisoned Iranian convert to Christianity, Ebrahim Firouzi, who completed his sentence on 20th January 2015, continues to be held in a prison in Karaj, according to reports. Ebrahim Firouzi was sentenced to 1 year in prison and 2 years of exile after being convicted on charges of carrying out propaganda against the state, evangelism and launching a Christian website. Apparently Firouzi will be facing additional charges from the Revolutionary Courts, but further legal action has yet to be announced.
Bangladesh: Political turmoil threatens economy
On January 5th Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina banned a political opponent’s demonstration and hundreds of activists were arrested. The opposition leader Khaleda Zia was confined to her office. This prompted opposition groups to indefinitely blockade roads, rail and river transport and call for early elections. Since then violence has escalated. Busses and trains firebombed. Over Fifty-four people have died. The 4,000 factories that employ four million people in the garment industry. (80% of exports) have closed. The tourist industry is dead with hotels empty. The trickledown effect has resulted in shortages of everyday commodities and lost jobs. People are afraid to venture out of their homes. Each political side is blaming the other for the escalating violence and resulting economic disaster. The ones suffering the most are those who have lost jobs and see bleak futures in this standoff. See also:
Nigeria: Parliamentary elections now on 28 March
Nigeria’s Election commission chief delayed Nigeria's election until 28 March because no troops were available to protect voters. All available military personnel are fighting against Boko Haram in north-east Nigeria. The opposition described the delay as a ‘setback for Nigerian democracy’. Police in Abuja and other cities are on the alert for unrest. The delay is highly contentious and will be seen by many as foul play. What is not clear at this stage is whether it will favour President Goodluck Jonathan or his rival, Muhammadu Buhari. It is unlikely that the conflict will be brought to an end within the next few weeks, so will the election be held at all? That may depend on whether some powerful personalities feel President Jonathan is well placed for a victory. Please pray for Nigerian police providing security. Pray against violent demonstrations due to the postponement. Pray for a breakthrough in the war against Boko Haram.
Central African Republic: Reports from the interior
People have ventured into the interior of CAR for pre-national dialogue discussions and returned with chilling eyewitness accounts. Whole villages lie wasted by fire or abandoned with inhabitants living in the bush. Many families continue to suffer terribly. Churches are not being spared. Those in Markounda commune and the surrounding area in the north have been the most affected. Persons committing crimes continue to claim their right to return to power. Kouango commune and the areas as far as the village of Ngakobo are deserted. Fulani Seleka carry out a reign of terror; you can travel 200 km without meeting a single individual. People are forced to cross the river south into the Democratic Republic of Congo, but there are manhunts and If the Congolese military don't like the look of you, you are accused of something and executed. Some escaped by canoe to Bangui, bringing eyewitness accounts they need you ongoing support in prayer. To read a Guardian article on CAR click 'More' link
Iraq: Archbishop of Irbil addresses UK peers and MPs
Archbishop Bashar Warda travelled to London this week to address a Westminster gathering on Iraq's declining Christian population and requesting further action by UK’s government. ‘Christians in Iraq do not have much time left without direct military action on the ground', the Archbishop of Irbil told UK peers and MPs. Iraq's Christian communities have declined dramatically since Saddam Hussein and he said air strikes were ‘not enough’ to defeat Islamic State militants. He ‘begged’ for Western troops to be deployed on the ground. The archbishop said, ‘As a Catholic I find it hard to say, but I want military action. There is no other way now'. He also addressed the Church of England's ruling General Synod. ‘What we are seeing is worse for the world than what happened in Afghanistan'. Former Cabinet minister John Gummer, now Lord Deben, said the archbishop's speech was an example of the ‘desperate dilemma the Christian community of Iraq is now in’
Jordan: War against IS
After Jordanian pilot, Muath al-Kasasbeh, was captured by IS and then burned to death in a cage, Jordan pledged to go after Islamic State until the terror group is ‘eliminated and completely wiped out.’ The United Arab Emirates (UAE) which reportedly stopped its participating in US led air-strikes after the Jordanian pilots capture has now resumed its participation and is reported to have said, ‘The UAE holds a ‘deep belief in the need for Arab collective cooperation to eliminate terrorism, through actions and words, and bolster the security, stability and moderation of the nation through the collective encountering of these terrorist gangs and their misleading ideology and brutal practices’. On Tuesday Jordan deployed ‘thousands’ of troops at its border with Iraq to prevent the infiltration of ISIS fighters into Jordan and as a show of force, according to the sources who spoke on condition of anonymity. See also
Egypt: War against Gaza terrorism
A strip of land along Gaza’s southern border with Egypt, called the Rafah buffer, is five km long and its demolition is one of several measures undertaken by the Egyptian government to counter insurgency in North Sinai and destroy all the underground smuggling tunnels from Egypt to Gaza. Egyptian armed forces discovered and blew up a 1,200-metre long tunnel containing weapons and explosives in January. Last year Egyptian military operations destroyed 1,500 smuggling tunnels, however recent satellite photos revealed hundreds more tunnels inside mosques in Rafa, inside bedrooms and inside stores. Consequently Egypt has decided to destroy the city of Rafah and build a new ‘Rafah city’. Hundreds of family homes have been demolished and 1,220 houses are marked for demolition in the area
